I’ve Cancelled My Vonage Account

16 Feb ’07

After just over a year of service I’ve cancelled my Vonage account. The quality of service was too often a serious problem. Dropped calls, callers getting an out-of-service tone, echo problems, drop-outs within calls – the whole range of problems popped up on a regular basis. Enough already. I’m certainly not alone, so my vote is “bearish“.

Gloria Carr February 23, 2010 at 10:33

i have vonage. my kid’s broke the box by accident they kept sending me boxes that was damage i had to pay out of my pocket to returned these items,so i forgot about the 3rd box they sent i had to return the one i had. so they charged me $85.00 for not returning luckily my bank card had been deactivated so they were not able to get into my acc.i told them when they get the box i will give them my acc. number & they will have to take the charges off my acc.

Paula Sorrentino February 7, 2009 at 21:13

I sarted my vonage service a year ago. I have had such poor quality, could not hear the other party, as well as people getting a message that my number was temporarily unavailable. I spent numerous hours on the phone with a heavy accented technition who kept telling me the problem was the settings, then it was my internet provider, and anything and everone under the sun except the real problem is their (Vonage) system sucks! I asked if they can not fix this problem and I go to another carrier will I get charged any fees. They told me no, I switched carriers, and immediately recieved notice that I owed them almost $100.00 I am now disputing these charges and will continue to fight this. I would not tell anyone to get this service. It is such a scam!!!

Korine Btonson December 6, 2008 at 00:39

I also had very poor service…dropped ande cut-of calls then no phone calls on my land line…had to use cell phone service which cost much more and then had to pay a large disconnect fee. Supposedly, as I found out much later, it all may have been due to my security system which is incompatible with Vonage. They never once asked if I had a security system…always attemped to fix it, but erroneously or blamed it on my intrrnet provider.

Sally Gauthier October 28, 2008 at 05:18

I tried Vonage basically to try and save some money. What a waste. Very very poor sound quality,dropped calls, poor service. After 25 days, my service quit working all together.

By the time I finally got thru to cancel, of course my 30 day trial was up. I was told if I cancelled my service, I would be charged almost $100.00 for equipment and cancellation fees.This was after several minutes of having the person handling my call repeating herself until I could understand what she was saying. I am not a prejudice person at all, but they need to have people handling these calls that you can understand.
So, not really caring if that went on my crepit report, I changed the credit card number on my account, and then reported the card lost. let them try to get their money now!!!

Rob Hyndman February 17, 2007 at 07:02

Quite right. I’m now using a client’s hosted IP telephony service and it’s excellent. A far superior experience.

Norman Young February 16, 2007 at 17:46

Vonage was doomed, from the start, even if their service quality managed to match the very high levels we enjoy in North America.

Telephone communication is an example of an over-served market. In Christensen’s model of innovation, a successful disruption must reach an unserved population. There are few such opportunities left for synchronous voice in the developed or developing worlds. Synchronous voice is a commodity.

David Canton February 16, 2007 at 15:47

I never did try anyone else – still using Bell POTS. After that experience, I would only try another provider if I knew I could cancel in short order without any obligation.

Rob Hyndman February 16, 2007 at 15:15

David, did you switch to a different provider, or are you off VoIP altogether?

David Canton February 16, 2007 at 14:49

I had a trial use of Vonage about a year ago, and did not keep it very long. The call quality (echo and general voice quality) was just not good enough for me. And that’s despite being determined to get it to work, trying everything in their troubleshooting guides, and spending time on the phone with their tech support.